Saturday, January 12, 2008

it started innocently enough

There I was. Walking through Neiman Marcus. Minding my own business...when I saw it. This bag. The Louis Vuitton Monogram Canvas Petite Bucket. Oh sure...it looks innocent...but looks can be deceiving. It sucks you in. It's like trying to eat one potato chip...you can't stop at one.

My mistake was walking up to the counter and asking the sales clerk to take it down for me to see. I loved it. I don't know why...it just appealed to me.

I tried it on...and that was it. I actually obsessed over it for the next month. Even though we could afford it...I couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a handbag. I mean...up until then...I thought that my Coach bag was expensive.

I asked myself...do I really need this bag? Is this something I'll use again and again? Would my husband kill me if I spent the equivalent of a major appliance on a bag? Of course the answers were...no, no, and yes...but I still had to have it.

Finally, I did it. The breakdown. You know what I mean. You do just enough hints, sighs, and detours through the mall to see the bag. Then you "accidentally" run into it with your husband a few times...and eureka! He gets the message and '"surprises" you with the best birthday gift you could ask for.

Well...that was about 8 years ago. About eight years and...eight Louis Vuitton bags, two Gucci, and one Botkier (alas...no Birkin...I will always admire, but never purchase...sigh).

Now I bring my obsession to this blog. I promise to bring you along on my journey. At times, it will be rough...but, together we will persevere. We will search the web together for bags that make us sigh, smile, and sometimes wince. So join me, for future obsessive adventures, as we reach into that Lay's bag and grab one more chip.

Mommy J

P.S. If you'd like to start your own obsession...head on over to www.eluxury.com for all things Louis Vuitton. The bag above can be had for $925. Happy Shopping!

photo courtesy of eluxury.com

2 comments:

PixieVonAzia said...

I love purses, but I don't think I'd want to spend $1000 for one purse when after awhile I'm going to see another one and leave the $1000 one in the closet..

Mommy J said...

That's true. That's why I tend to stick with bags that I know I'll get a lot of use out of. Classic bags that never go out of style. At least...that's what I try and tell myself! ; )